Friday, April 2, 2010

Travelling by train: the Settle-Carlisle Railway

The longer I am here the less I feel inclined to drive and the more I enjoy travelling by train. I think back with wonder to 1979 when I drove a Morris Minor all over England and Scotland.

Yesterday I took to the rails for a round trip: York - Leeds; Leeds - Settle - Carlisle; Carlisle - Newcastle; and Newcastle back to York.  This was on the advice of George who popped a note through the letter flap many weeks ago...


What was so wonderful about this note was that it told me absolutely everything I needed to know!

As I came down the ings towards the river on my early walk to the station I saw two supercharged swans travelling down the river at an unbelievably theatrical speed. On account of the current - it took me some seconds to realise. The Ouse was running full and swiftly (could almost be the Heathcote in flood).


The swans obligingly exited the river to have their photos taken...


York railway station has become very familiar and I am always delighted by the play of light through the ironwork (these photos taken at the end of the day).



It was almost impossible to get a decent photo from the window of the moving train so I have little record of the famous Settle - Carlisle leg of the journey. The line was nearly closed in the 1980s but has been championed by The Friends of the Settle-Carlisle Line. This shot suggests that the most elevated parts are not unlike the Canterbury high country...


There had been a fresh fall of snow on the moorlands (reflected coffee mug a bonus!)...


I was very impressed by the fact that this man, who was by no means young, was a volunteer on the Settle-Carlisle leg, helping with the drinks/food trolley and selling little brochures about the line (his jacket reads 'Settle-Carlisle Line Volunteer').


The little railway stations along the way are cared for by volunteers and are all charming. This one (not my photo) is of the Kirkby Stephen station.


In central Carlisle there was a very busy local and continental market including lots of flowers for sale.


A wee story that says something (maybe) about English people. On the final, Newcastle-York leg of the trip there was a man who was accidentally sitting in a reserved seat. He moved very cheerfully when the 'owners' pointed this out, but in the kerfuffle of shifting he dropped his laptop which fell with a heavy thud. No-one commiserated; everyone remained resolutely silent, minding his/her own business. I don't think this is from a lack of concern. Rather I think it is an unwillingness to make a fuss or intrude on someone else's business. However the fate of the laptop and the man's frame of mind concerned me for the rest of the trip and as I left the train at York I passed him and asked if the laptop was OK. He smiled and said it was much sturdier than he was! I felt relieved and pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment